Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Tocqueville





        
 
 After reading Tocqueville, by Khaled Mattawa  I noticed that he started the poem as if he was writing a letter. He wrote Dear B,  say all the new thinking resembles all the old thinking is to say the fork in the road where one stood indecisive was not a crossroad at all, because one has not moved. After I read these first few lines I started to wonder about who was he writing to? And why? I also wondered was he not use to the country?  Three questions arose in my head I continued to read to get a better understanding of where he was going in the poem.
     I think that some of the poems that has been written in Khaleds book have the same writing style. Each poem seems as if you can picture yourself there in moment. Some of the poems I came across  seem to be peaceful and all are connected to democratic events in history. It seems that his writing style gives readers an idea of what went on in history and  amazing poetic writing that brings you to a good place when reading. Some poems take a while to understand for instance one poem that I read was the poem called airborne is about Pennsylvania. The author describes Pennsylvania as a dump he seems as if he is giving the state human characteristics. For instance, he states that she kisses you hard and often holding your face in her big hands. I'm un aware if he is referring to the city itself or an actual women.
        As, I continue to read I hope I find out more interesting poems and artifacts about history.
Each poem seems to relate to one another rather its one regarding a place, that is being described or a specific aspect of nature. I want to try and understand some of the poems in the text as well. I hope to find out what the author is trying to convey in each of the poems. I hope to come across an easy going poem that is full of description and detail. Some poems are hard to understand at first but after reading them a couple of times I get an understanding, I think that Tocqueville   can be understood just with a little reading and putting together pieces  of information.
 
  

1 comment: